Thursday, May 1, 2014

Do I have to use Inc or LLC in my logo?

**This is not legal advice.**

I have been asked this multiple times and my answer is usually, "No, I don't think so. . ."  Do you have to use Inc or LLC in your new startup logo?  Consider that the logo is a brand mark and LLC or Inc is included when writing your businesses legal name.  Consult a lawyer if you have any specific questions, but here are a few places where you can get answers to this question:

Brad Miller Designs - I like this guys approach.  He answers with a bold NO.

Where do you use your LLC / INC Designation?  - This is a Bank of America Forum that includes a list of places where you would need to use the LLC/INC designation such as contracts and legal documents.

From Yahoo Answers  (I include this for variety of answers)

Even on the discussion boards there is disagreement on this question.  State laws may vary and you should consult your counsel for clarification if you are unsure of what to do with the LLC and INC when creating a new logo.

The consensus, not withstanding legal status, is that including the LLC or INC in your logo looks bad and shouldn't be done.  Look for examples of large brands in your area and see what they are doing.  Use good judgement and best business practices!  Send me a message on twitter @rynmcmns

No comments:

Post a Comment