Thursday, November 28, 2013

10 iOS Apps I Am Thankful for This Thanksgiving

This post was inspired by a comment from a Kevin Rose interview with Pandora's CTO Tom Conrad.  Conrad said that Thanksgiving was one of Pandora's best days for new user downloads because family and friends sit around the table after a big meal and talk about the apps that they use most.  These are the 10 iOS apps I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.

I tweeted about it and Conrad's reply gets moved to #1 this Thanksgiving.

Memoir - yourmemoir.com I just downloaded it and haven't used it long enough to give a detailed review but the recommendation alone makes it an app worth checking out. Memoir lets you collect your memories, share with friends, and get reminded of them. For parents, this is a must!  @Memoir joked on twitter that they overheard someone say it should be called MOMoir. 

Pandora - pandora.com I love spotify, but it can be a productivity killer. So many choices, so much time to waste. It's the same problem I have with Netflix, I spend more of time browsing than lsitening. Pandora keeps the music going and I am always amazed by the new artists that Pandora introduces to me. With Pandora integrated into my Volt, its the go to music app and has replaced the radio completely.

Evernote - evernote.com all my devices, anywhere I am. It's the digital version of my moleskin. I don't use the special Evernote moleskin but I do transfer my paper notes into Evernote by taking photos and uploading them with the app. Index, save, and search for later. You never know when that brilliant idea will hit you and if you are a touch ADD like me, they can be gone as soon as they come so its a good idea to make a quick note and save the brain space. My wife can only remember so much for me!

Flipboard - flipboard.com my personal content curation hub. Whenever theres a topic I want to follow, Flipboard is my go app for becoming an expert and  gathering market intelligence. It combines relevant news with social updates from people I friend or follow.  It beats the heck out of Yahoo or HuffPo and its perfect when I am sitting at the airport.

Quora - quora.com I have lots of questions and sometimes google isn't enough.  When I need an experts answer, I go to Quora. If you answer some questions you will build up Quora Karma and get points to ask an expert to answer your questions. When we were preparing for our trip to Vietnam, I asked a question to a former U.S. Official and had a thorough and helpful answer within the hour.  The answers are public but you can ask them anonymously if you have a fear of asking stupid question (if there is such a thing).

Frequent Flyer Miles Tracker - I travel alot and I try to always get a good rate before staying with a single carrier. The Frequent Flyer app has every airline and helps me keep track of the frequent flyer accounts for each airline. Easy copy and paste of the numbers and a comprehensive list of airlines makes this free app a must for business travelers.  I am sure there are better apps that keep track of your points automatically. This is just the app I use. What apps do you recommend for airline frequent flier mile tracking?

Hilton Hotels App - Hotels are one area where loyalty really pays off.  The Hilton app makes it really easy to book a room while I am on the go. Its nothing special but I use it so much that I decided to include it on the list.

Instagram - If I take a good photo its going on instagram. The filters are still the best (in my opinion). Not much to say that a Billion $ hasn't already said. Instagram continues to be one of the apps I use most and a great place to keep all the photos of my daughter.  

Dropbox - Unlike the app on your desktop that keeps all the files locally for quick access, this app retrieves them in demand. For grabbing a PDF or forwarding a presentation while on the go, this app is critical.  I can fill up the free 5 Gigs pretty quickly but they are awesome about giving you more apace for inviting your friends. Just share something with a friend and grab 500 MB when they sign up.  

GarageBand - If you like making music and want a fun distraction, theres no better $5 app. For the price of a pack of Earnie Ball strings the GarageBand app gives you a bunch of instruments and hours of fun. It doesn't even matter if you can't read music or play an actual instrument, they make music composition as easy as can be and its just fun to use! I've had this app since the first generation iPad and they keep updating it with better and better features. 

What app are you thankful for?

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment