Friday, May 17, 2013

Big Data Fail: WalMart

I try to keep things positive here, but this event affected me personally ao I thought I's share my experience. A little while back I had someone fraudulently make a purchase through my account on walmart.com. They bought some RAM and had the order shipped to an address in California.

Identity theft happens and its a huge problem that will only grow. That's not my complaint. Walmart handled the issue OK, but its really my bank that came through to wipe out the charge. Where Walmart failed was in the follow up.

They followed up to find out how
I liked my purchase. Not just once, but twice. The email was sent two
Weeks after the incident was resolved. This big data fail by Walmart

Google "walmart big data" and the first article that pops up is about walmart making Big Data part of its DNA. http://smartdatacollective.com/bigdatastartups/111681/walmart-makes-big-data-part-its-social-media

Walmart has succeeded at making "big data" part of their PR rhetoric. Not a bad thing and alot of companies are doing it. They missed an opportunity to use their big data for damage control. They have the information, but didn't connect data on fraudulent purchases with their email automation systems. One more data field for control would have stopped the email trigger to ask me how I liked the RAM (ie. fraud, if yes, don't email follow up).



No comments:

Post a Comment