Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What Jenny Can Teach You About Social Networking - "You gave me the codes"

TheChive.com posted this series of pictures from a girl named Jenny.  The video below shows the 33 picture series that she emailed to her co-workers first thing monday in the most awesome resignation notification ever.  Watch the video below or watch it on youtube.com HERE.



What can Jenny's sweet revenge teach us about social networking?
Forget the Jet Blue disgruntle stewardess and look at Jenny's awesome display of sticking it to the man.  This movie moment must have been hysterical in the office, hushed laughter and possibly a scrambling IT guy doing check-point style inbox raids to delete the embarrassingly honest email.  But boss 'Spencer' had the game flipped when the tracking system/internet witchhunt he installed was used against him.  Moral of the email: Anyone with access to your information can and will use it, for or against you.  This includes the data that is put out there on public social media sites.  Now that social networking is in full swing as a new marketing channel, low-cost variable printing, and databases to capture every point of customer interaction, marketers have an opportunity to market smarter, market smaller, market sharper.  And they do this in part to the data publicly available on the multitude of social networking and media sites that get you to give them a piece of your online social life.

For users of social networking, in 2010 it is understood that between google and facebook; if you use it, its recorded. Period.  No one is surprised, only slightly put off when forced to think about the ease of access to slightly personal info, when things like user agreements change and need you to say you read it (when you know you haven't read one since you signed up for a free 30 day AOL dial-up trial).  For marketers, if the info is there, use it.  A great sales strategy is to find those by looking for areas where they may seek gratification from touting personal accomplishments, with instructions how to contact them.  It's there so grab it.  Linkedin is one of the sites to find the personally ambitious. 

My frustration is in the selling of information.  Personal Example:  I responded to an advertisement for a "MAKE A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS A WEEK WORKING FROM HOME".  My mistake.  I heard the pitch, decent offer, have a website, promote a website, sell stuff.  Just not a good fit for me, so I passed.  Lost $15 on shipping for an information packet, but I'll take the learning experience.  But about a month after I ended my communication with the the MAFHDAWWFH company, I began receiving two to three calls a week (now on my 5th week) from callers that opened with letting me know I signed up for offers for a work from home business, then racing through the sales pitch hoping to keep me on the phone till the say "holt a d, please" when they get a break to play a "6 minute audio recording that will explain how you will make money".  1st Call": I was curious and had a conversation before passing on the promise of independent wealth at the end.  With every call I listened to less of the pitch, resorting to hanging up if "not interested's" were ignored.  So far not a single call has broken from the same script. 

Now, Not only was I pissed at the idea of my information being sold (I am alright with it being found, just not sold), but they passed on a bad lead.  I knew a work from home business wasn't for me, that's why I didn't do it in the first place.  So did my identity become a recycled lead?  Now I am receiving, seemingly endless, marketing cold calls that ''ain't smart" and "ain't sharp".  And all the data is out their, but they are wasting resources with the law of averages style marketing instead of targeted, data driven marketing to a select few that could drive greater lifetime value customers.  Find 'em, Get 'em, Reward 'em, Keep 'em. 

The future of marketing is in reaching the targeted few that matter.  (Sorry Television media)

SPOILER ALERT
Thechive.com posted these pictures of "Jenny" and her awesome resignation.  I received them from a co-worker and after checking out the site I learned it's a HOAX.  A great skit.

No comments:

Post a Comment